Leaning into Love: A Spiritual Journey through Grief (Larson Publications, October 2014)
Degrees, Certifications, and Training
- 2011: Bereavement training at Hospicare and Palliative Care Services of Tompkins County, Ithaca, NY
- 2010: Volunteer training at Hospicare and Palliative Care Services of Tompkins County, Ithaca NY
- 2002: National Strength and Conditioning Association—Certified Personal Trainer (NSCA-CPT)
- 1997: Volunteer training at Hospice and Palliative Care, New Hartford, NY
- 1983: BS in Nutrition, Empire State College, State University of New York
- 1967: BA in Government, Cornell University
Writing, Facilitating Groups, and Volunteering in Grief and Loss
In 2009, my articles were published in the Hospice and Palliative Care Association of New York State newsletter and at the website founded by Br. David Steindl-Rast called Gratefulness.org. In 2010, I began writing articles for Hospicare and Palliative Care Services of Tompkins County. I now write for the bereavement section of their website, the e-newsletter, and the bi-monthly bereavement newsletter. My website has links to these and earlier articles about grief and loss.
2011-2014: I facilitate hospice bereavement groups called “Standing in Our New Lives: Women Moving Forward after the Death of a Spouse or Partner.” I also give readings, make bereavement calls, and meet privately with individuals who have lost spouses or partners and volunteer an additional 8-10 hours a month assisting the volunteer coordinator.
Associations and Memberships
- Association for Death Education and Counseling, Deerfield, IL
- Educate the Children, Ithaca, NY
- Finger Lakes Land Trust, Ithaca, NY
- Hospicare and Palliative Care Services of Tompkins County, Ithaca, NY
- Hospice and Palliative Care Association of New York State, Albany, NY
- International Campaign for Tibet, Washington, DC
- Marion Woodman Foundation, Portland, OR
- Namgyal Monastery, Institute of Buddhist Studies, Ithaca, NY
- Natural Resources Defense Council, New York, NY
- Oxfam America, Boston, MA
- Wisdom’s Goldenrod Center for Philosophic Studies, Hector, NY
- National Strength and Conditioning Association, Colorado Springs, CO (2002-2011)
Additional Training in Psychology, Nutrition, and Health
- 1987 – 2009: Numerous seminars and workshops with Dr. Marion Woodman, Dr. Robert Bosnak, and other Jungian therapists focusing on body/soul connections, dream work, and spiritual and psychological wholeness
- 1990 – 95: six 4-day seminars for health professionals covering exercise, nutrition, and traditional Asian healing modalities with Dr. Rudolph Ballentine at the Himalayan Institute, Honesdale, PA
- 1981 – 83: three week-long nutrition seminars with Dr. Jeffrey Bland at Omega Institute, Rhinebeck, NY
Employment in Health Care Counseling
- 1981 – 2011: private practice in nutrition, exercise, and natural health counseling
- 2007: teaching women’s health classes at Finger Lakes Fitness, Ithaca, NY
- 2006 – 2007: teaching strength training classes at Kendal Retirement Community, Ithaca, NY
- 2006 – 2007: teaching women’s health classes at Cayuga Heights Center for Wellness and the Healing Arts, Ithaca, NY
- 2003 – 2006: teaching classes in Colgate University Wellness Program, Hamilton, NY
- 2005: teaching at Mezza Luna Wellness Center, Hamilton, NY
- 1981 – 97: nutrition, exercise, and menopause consultant in the office of Dr. Fred Weiner, Ithaca, NY
Programs and Skills in Health Care
Until 2011, I taught nutrition and exercise programs to groups and individuals of all ages and fitness levels. As a certified strength and conditioning trainer (NSCA-CPT), I designed and helped client’s implement individualized fitness programs including strength training, cardiovascular health, and flexibility with an emphasis on motivation and client success. As a nutrition counselor, I helped clients design healthy and practical nutrition programs for over 25 years. I specialized in women’s health, bone health, disease prevention, disease management, and healthy aging. I have written and published many articles about health care. My website is a resource for practical information about nutrition, strength training, weight control, bone health, disease prevention, disease management, and natural approaches to menopause.
Other Interests and Activities
I began studying world philosophies and Jungian psychology after meeting my first spiritual teacher Anthony Damiani in 1967. I began a daily meditation practice at that time. I met the Dalai Lama during his first visit to the United States in 1979 and have attended teachings and audiences with him many times since then. In the early 1990s, I traveled to Dharamsala, India to see the Dalai Lama. I traveled to India three times to meditate with Sri Sankaracharya, head of South Indian Hinduism until his death in 1994. I have been a student of the Jungian analyst and writer Marion Woodman since 1987 and have attended many dream workshops with the Jungian analyst Robert Bosnak.
I became a vegetarian and organic gardener in 1970. This led to an interest in ecology and conservation. My 71 acres of land are protected with a conservation easement. I follow healthy forest practices and protect habitats for birds and other wildlife. I am active in the anti-fracking movement as well as other ecological and political activities.
My husband Vic Mansfield (1941-2008) was my partner and spiritual companion for 42 years. His last book was Tibetan Buddhism and Modern Physics: Toward a union of love and knowledge. His death led to my present interest in hospice and bereavement work.